Welcome to the Great Salt Lake Watershed Council page!
The Great Salt Lake Watershed Council will be one of the 12 local watershed councils that will operate in Utah.
This council has not yet been established. The Division of Water Resources, with assistance from The Langdon Group, is currently working to establish five watershed councils within the Great Salt Lake watershed. After they have been created, the Great Salt Lake Watershed Council will be organized.
The Great Salt Lake Watershed Council will encompass each of the five watersheds that drain into Great Salt Lake:
Each of these five councils will designate one representative to serve on the Great Salt Lake Watershed Council, which will serve as a collaborative forum for all parties interested in securing a reliable and resilient source of water for Great Salt Lake.
For general inquires, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local watershed councils are created to encourage and facilitate discussion and collaboration or water-related issues and concerns among the stakeholders within the watershed. As feasible, the watershed council will facilitate communication and coordination among the following interests:
- Utah Tribal Nations
- Public Water Suppliers
- Water Planning and Research Institutions
- Water Quality
- Fish and Wildlife
- Water Dependent Habitat and Environments
- Watershed Management
- Mutual Irrigation Companies
- Local Sponsors of Reclamation Projects
Each local watershed council will designate one representative to serve on the Utah Watersheds Council, where issues of concern can be brought to the legislature and governor.
Great Salt Lake Coordination and Councils
Great Salt Lake’s management is complex and involves many government agencies, non-profits, academic institutions, industries and the public. Each entity and project has its own mission, tasks or directives. They all work together to protect the lake.
The Great Salt Lake Watershed Council will enable better coordination and discussion across varied stakeholder interest groups. This differs from the Great Salt Lake Advisory Council, which directly advises the governor, DNR and DEQ and reports annually to the Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee on sustainable use, protection and development of the lake.
Meeting Schedule & MinutesTBD
If you would like to be informed about the Great Salt Lake Watershed Council, or if you have any questions or ideas for the council, please contact us. We are here to serve you and help ensure that the council brings benefits to you and the state of Utah.
- Todd Stonely, Utah Division of Water Resources, 801-538-7277 or email@example.com
- Dan Adams, The Langdon Group, 801-520-4762 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andy Rasmussen, The Langdon Group, 435-760-0089 or email@example.com
- Krishna Khatri, Great Salt Lake Area Planning Specialist, Utah Division of Water Resources, 801-538-7262 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laura Vernon, Great Salt Lake Basin Planner, Utah Division of Water Resources, 385-522-3698 or email@example.com
- Carly Payne, Administrative Support, Utah Division of Water Resources, 801-538-7235 or firstname.lastname@example.org